How Long Do You Bake Chicken with Bones?
Baking bone-in chicken is a good idea if you want plenty of flavor, or an essential thing to do if you are baking a whole bird, since you cannot remove the bones without cutting the chicken into pieces.
Cooking Temperatures for Bone-in Chicken
The most important thing to realize when asking “how long do you bake chicken with bones” is that it is not about how long the cooking takes but getting your poultry to achieve a safe temperature.
The internal temperature for properly cooked chicken is 175 to 180 degrees F for the thigh, 170 to 175 degrees F for the breast or wings, 180 degrees F for dark meat and 165 degrees F for the stuffing inside a whole chicken.
Unless you achieve those temperatures your chicken will be undercooked and potentially dangerous to eat. If your chicken is not hot enough you must return it to the oven and let it cook some more. Overcooked poultry is always dry and flavorless but undercooked chicken is dangerous, so try to strike a happy medium, letting it cook to the right temperature and no more.
How to Cook Bone-in Chicken
Cook bone-in poultry uncovered at 350 degrees F for about twenty minutes, then turn it over and cook it covered for a further twenty to twenty five minutes or until it is done. If you have marinated the chicken first, you can baste the meat with the marinade just before turning it over. This will enhance its flavor and help keep it moist.
That means the internal temperature must be as above and the meat juices must run clear when you pierce the chicken with a knife. When testing the temperature do not let the thermometer touch the bone because the bone will be hotter than the meat around it. Now you know the answer to the question how long do you bake chicken with bones.
Leave a Reply
- Soy Sauce and Thyme Marinade July 27, 2014
- Red Chili and Basil Marinade July 24, 2014
- Zesty Sweet Lemongrass Marinade July 23, 2014
- Gorgeous Greek Marinade for Octopus July 22, 2014
- Lemon and Garlic Marinade July 21, 2014
- Zesty Pinot Grigio Marinade July 20, 2014
- Mediterranean Fish Marinade with Fresh Herbs July 19, 2014
- Amazing Barbeque Marinade July 18, 2014
- Citrus and Beer Marinade July 17, 2014
- Rosemary and Thyme Sardine Marinade July 16, 2014
- Home (54572 Views)
- Triple Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe with Cilantro (9233 Views)
- The Best Sirloin Steak Marinades (6598 Views)
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinades (3827 Views)
- Authentic El Pollo Loco Chicken Marinade (3523 Views)
- Jalapeno Lime Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe (3523 Views)
- Deliciously Simple Steak Marinade (3288 Views)
- Best Steak Marinade with Meat Tenderizer (3128 Views)
- Ginger and Pineapple Marinade for Chicken Wings (2729 Views)
- Steak Marinade with Beer and Garlic (2445 Views)