How Long Do You Bake Chicken with Bones?
Baking bone-in chicken is a good idea if you want plenty of flavor, or an essential thing to do if you are baking a whole bird, since you cannot remove the bones without cutting the chicken into pieces.
Cooking Temperatures for Bone-in Chicken
The most important thing to realize when asking “how long do you bake chicken with bones” is that it is not about how long the cooking takes but getting your poultry to achieve a safe temperature.
The internal temperature for properly cooked chicken is 175 to 180 degrees F for the thigh, 170 to 175 degrees F for the breast or wings, 180 degrees F for dark meat and 165 degrees F for the stuffing inside a whole chicken.
Unless you achieve those temperatures your chicken will be undercooked and potentially dangerous to eat. If your chicken is not hot enough you must return it to the oven and let it cook some more. Overcooked poultry is always dry and flavorless but undercooked chicken is dangerous, so try to strike a happy medium, letting it cook to the right temperature and no more.
How to Cook Bone-in Chicken
Cook bone-in poultry uncovered at 350 degrees F for about twenty minutes, then turn it over and cook it covered for a further twenty to twenty five minutes or until it is done. If you have marinated the chicken first, you can baste the meat with the marinade just before turning it over. This will enhance its flavor and help keep it moist.
That means the internal temperature must be as above and the meat juices must run clear when you pierce the chicken with a knife. When testing the temperature do not let the thermometer touch the bone because the bone will be hotter than the meat around it. Now you know the answer to the question how long do you bake chicken with bones.
Leave a Reply
- Easy Salisbury Steak Gravy Recipe July 13, 2014
- Kentucky Style Biscuit Recipe July 12, 2014
- Skillet Biscuits with Buttermilk July 12, 2014
- Wonderful Whole Wheat Biscuit Recipe July 12, 2014
- A Simply Yummy Egg Biscuit Recipe July 12, 2014
- Sensational Biscuits with Sharp Cheddar July 12, 2014
- Easy 2 Ingredient Bisquick Biscuits Recipe July 11, 2014
- Beautiful Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe July 11, 2014
- Traditional English Scone Recipe July 11, 2014
- Recipe for Cheddar Cheese Biscuits with Poppy Seed July 11, 2014
- Home (51317 Views)
- Triple Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe with Cilantro (9042 Views)
- The Best Sirloin Steak Marinades (5766 Views)
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinades (3519 Views)
- Authentic El Pollo Loco Chicken Marinade (2931 Views)
- Jalapeno Lime Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe (2864 Views)
- Deliciously Simple Steak Marinade (2841 Views)
- Best Steak Marinade with Meat Tenderizer (2698 Views)
- Ginger and Pineapple Marinade for Chicken Wings (2613 Views)
- Marinade for Southwestern Steak Recipe (2199 Views)