How to Grill Chicken Legs the Right Way
There are different ways to grill chicken legs but you might like to marinate the chicken drumsticks before you begin, to infuse them with flavor. There is usually room to breathe when making chicken marinade recipes and that means the measurements can be approximate rather than exact with them.
Use a Ziploc bag to marinate the meat, or a glass or plastic container with a lid. You will need less marinade with a Ziploc bag though, since you will squeeze the air out and maximize the contact area between the marinade and the poultry. With a bowl or dish there is always more marinade under the poultry and less on top so you will have to stir it often. A Ziploc bag eliminates this problem.
Tips for Crispy Chicken Skin
After marinating your chicken legs for a few hours, put them on a preheated grill using a pair of tongs, and cook them covered over a moderate heat. Flip and rotate them and move them to a cooler area if the outside is scorching too much. Keep the lid on the grill but check the chicken legs every few minutes. The answer to ‘how long do you cook chicken legs on the grill’ is not until they are burnt!
After about twenty minutes the legs will be done but check the internal temperature using a digital thermometer to be sure. The temperature needs to be 160 degrees F. Check the temperature in the thickest part of the leg, next to but not touching the bone. The cooked chicken legs will be firm to the touch, as well as crispy and lightly browned.
Delicious Chicken Legs
These are always popular when you are having a cookout, so buy more than you think you will need. Chicken legs tend to be cheap anyway and if you get them on discount too you could end up with a real bargain. Any which are not eaten can be recycled with a salad the following day, served with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable after being gently rewarmed (in the oven or in a steamer over a pan of simmering water) or they can find their way into the family’s box lunches.
Chicken legs are moist and juicy. Chicken breast can also be like that if you cook it correctly, but with chicken legs it is easier to keep them moist because they have a higher percentage of fat. And what else does fat mean? Yes it means flavor, so even if you are not marinating the legs you can still expect a wonderful taste with every bite.
Chicken legs appeal to everyone from the youngest member of the family right up to the most senior, so you cannot go wrong with them unless you have invited a bunch of vegetarians over to your barbeque (in which case, you will have those tasty chicken legs all to yourself!)
Leave a Reply
- Indulgent Gorgonzola Parmesan Sauce August 18, 2014
- Lazy Weekend Cheese Dipping Sauce August 18, 2014
- Multipurpose Cheese Sauce August 18, 2014
- Sangria Shrimp Marinade August 17, 2014
- Rosemary Calamari Marinade August 17, 2014
- Parsley and Mustard Mussel Marinade August 17, 2014
- Spicy Squid Marinade with Garlic August 17, 2014
- Tomatillo Marinade for Shellfish August 17, 2014
- Orange and Ginger Shrimp Marinade August 17, 2014
- Mango and Ginger Butter Sauce August 17, 2014
- Home (55930 Views)
- Triple Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe with Cilantro (9315 Views)
- The Best Sirloin Steak Marinades (6691 Views)
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinades (3938 Views)
- Authentic El Pollo Loco Chicken Marinade (3788 Views)
- Jalapeno Lime Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe (3594 Views)
- Deliciously Simple Steak Marinade (3362 Views)
- Best Steak Marinade with Meat Tenderizer (3278 Views)
- Ginger and Pineapple Marinade for Chicken Wings (2818 Views)
- Steak Marinade with Beer and Garlic (2525 Views)