Button Mushroom and Onion in Cream Sauce
Most chefs spend time training in Paris for one very important reason the mastering of the art of sauce making. French cuisine is the implementation of fine sauces to elevate any dish and it is this knowledge that all chefs need. Show me a great chef I mean the true masters who haven’t spent at least a little time in either a French kitchen or culinary school they all know that this is an important step in mastering the art of food.
Now I am not a French chef by any means and I have only virtually been to Paris I have staff that have been and I understand the concept of much of the cuisine. This recipe works for a nice creamy sauce with loads of mushrooms and onions which is a plus right from the start with me these two ingredients pair together as well as any two culinary items I can think of. Other than bacon with bacon if that is a pairing, lol.
Now there are many things this sauce will go well with from a simple pasta dish to various meats that will lend well to it. It is a rich sauce so I am not suggesting it every night of the week but a little indulgence every now and then is good for us it lets us appreciate the finer things in life which food is definitely one of those. I am spending a few days focusing on this site it is in need of a bit of house cleaning so to speak so I will have a whole series of recipes coming soon and maybe a few other slight tweaks especial on the mobile side of things that will hopefully make getting around a bit easier on your mobile device. Until the next recipe enjoy.
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 16 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup light cream
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- If you didn't just get lazy and buy pre-sliced mushrooms then do so now.
- Add 1 tablespoons of butter to a medium high skillet and add the onions and cook stirring frequently for five minutes then turn the heat to medium low and allow onions to caramelize this will take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove to a dish and add another tablespoon of butter and cook the mushrooms until slightly browned stirring frequently then add the minced garlic and allow to cook a moment or two until it is fragrant and slightly toasted remove to same plate as the onions.
- Turn heat back to medium high and add the remaining butter and with a whisk stir in the flour and stir to create a roux and until the flour is slightly browned and glossy adjust flour and butter adding a bit of either to get the right consistency should be a thick paste like but have a very oil sheen to it. Add the onions, mushrooms and garlic back in and allow to come up to heat and add the dry white wine and mix vigorously to blend with the flour and work out any lumping. Allow this to cook down a bit stirring all the while then slowly add the cream in continually stirring and lower heat to medium and allow simmer until it thickens.
- Add the parsley and salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. When it is the consistency you desire remove and place in gravy boat to serve.
- This goes well over pasta or many different meat dishes especial beef and veal.
It is said that in order to truly master cooking you need to understand the art of using and making sauces and nowhere is that more of an art then in France. The French have been mastering making fine sauces for centuries and we don’t need to get into the history of why that came about we just need to understand it is so and learn from the masters of sauce making and learn to incorporate these lessons into our own cooking to make the common dish something special.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe May 6, 2016
- Amazing Asian Plum Sauce April 26, 2016
- Sweet and Tangy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce April 24, 2016
- Dried Chanterelle and Baby Bella Mushroom Sauce April 14, 2016
- Sesame Teriyaki Chicken with Japanese Teriyaki Sauce March 31, 2016
- Zesty Orange Sauce – Orange Zest That Is March 30, 2016
- Amazing Thai Sweet Chili Sauce March 29, 2016
- Sausage and Caramelized Onions in Gravy with Mashed Potatoes March 29, 2016
- Button Mushroom and Onion in Cream Sauce March 29, 2016
- Traditional Greek Tzatziki Sauce March 26, 2016
- Home (80866 Views)
- The Best Sirloin Steak Marinades (10967 Views)
- Triple Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe with Cilantro (10813 Views)
- Venison Steak Marinade Red Wine Vinegar (9124 Views)
- Authentic El Pollo Loco Chicken Marinade (6827 Views)
- Five Mother Sauces Every Cook Should Know (6786 Views)
- Best Steak Marinade with Meat Tenderizer (6452 Views)
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinades (6107 Views)
- Herb and Garlic Marinade for Chuck Steak (5328 Views)
- Jalapeno Lime Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe (5034 Views)