Traditional Greek Tzatziki Sauce
Now before you start sending me hate comments and asking why it took so long to do a recipe for this stop and think I have X number of sites with fans all wanting there special ethnic recipe covered and there are four kids, a husband, a carrier and oh yeah that MS thing so I hadn’t gotten to it yet, so sorry… Well in the realm of better late than never here is a traditional Greek recipe I am sure you will love even if it is a bit late in the making.
Now before you point out the blonde girl isn’t Greek no I’m not, close in proximity but no more than I am Mexican and I have run one of the most comprehensive Mexican food sites on the net for almost ten years now. See the beauty of the net is if you know how to research and understand how food items work together you can cover any subject you like. I also have a team of very dedicate staff around the world that keep me centered and make sure I don’t get a case of dumb Yank.
Just like a surgeon can operate on an American one day and someone from somewhere else the next day food is similar that once you understand the basics and how things work with a bit of research you can find the missing piece then just put the puzzle together. It would be like telling someone in Europe they can’t bake an apple pie or make a hamburger, nonsense. Show me a chef who hasn’t traveled and combined those travels into something uniquely themselves and I’ll show you a chef who hasn’t traveled. One of the things I love is exploring the world through food, it is the one thing that brings us all a little closer.
- ½ an English cucumber, unpeeled and coarsely grated
- 1½ cups thick Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Iliada Kalamata Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, diced finely
- A few cucumber slices, very thin
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh Dill Sprig
- Veggie sticks or pita chips
- With a box grater grate the English cucumber and allow draining in a mesh sieve over a bowl to collect the liquid overnight in the refrigerator to remove excess liquid.
- In a medium glass bowl combine the garlic, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and kosher salt. Cover this with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove everything from the refrigerator and begin making the Tzatziki by combing the yogurt mixture with the English cucumber transfer to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle some of the Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the mixture then garnish with a few of the thin English cucumber slices and a sprig of fresh dill.
- Serve chilled with veggie sticks or pita chips for dipping.
Tzatziki sauce is a very popular dip in Greece but is just starting to catch on here in America, maybe it has something to do with the fact that its main ingredient is Greek yogurt and we are just starting to catch on to how good that is and this is such a natural offshoot of that I don’t know why. If you haven’t had the chance to taste it you really should now this is called a sauce but it really is as much a dip as sauce although it would go very well with grilled fish in my opinion. I have tried to stay as close to traditional as possible now there are variation of this but this is a pretty authentic recipe and I even give you a link for true Greek extra virgin olive oil.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe May 6, 2016
- Amazing Asian Plum Sauce April 26, 2016
- Sweet and Tangy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce April 24, 2016
- Dried Chanterelle and Baby Bella Mushroom Sauce April 14, 2016
- Sesame Teriyaki Chicken with Japanese Teriyaki Sauce March 31, 2016
- Zesty Orange Sauce – Orange Zest That Is March 30, 2016
- Amazing Thai Sweet Chili Sauce March 29, 2016
- Sausage and Caramelized Onions in Gravy with Mashed Potatoes March 29, 2016
- Button Mushroom and Onion in Cream Sauce March 29, 2016
- Traditional Greek Tzatziki Sauce March 26, 2016
- Home (80865 Views)
- The Best Sirloin Steak Marinades (10967 Views)
- Triple Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe with Cilantro (10811 Views)
- Venison Steak Marinade Red Wine Vinegar (9124 Views)
- Authentic El Pollo Loco Chicken Marinade (6827 Views)
- Five Mother Sauces Every Cook Should Know (6786 Views)
- Best Steak Marinade with Meat Tenderizer (6452 Views)
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinades (6106 Views)
- Herb and Garlic Marinade for Chuck Steak (5328 Views)
- Jalapeno Lime Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe (5032 Views)